IRAs, Required Minimum Distributions, and Qualified Charitable Distributions...

If you are age 72 or older and own a traditional IRA, donating your required minimum distribution (RMD) is a powerful way to support the national parks. This is known as a qualified charitable distribution (QCD).

How it Works

If you are age 72 or older and own a traditional IRA, you may be legally required to take a Required Minimum Distribution (RMD) each year. Moreover, since your funds have accumulated in a traditional IRA pre-tax, the withdrawal of your RMD each year may be subject to income tax.

Many national parks supporters who do not need these funds choose to donate them to NPCA and invest in the long-term future of their favorite national parks. By making a direct transfer of all or a portion of your RMD, you may be able to avoid the income tax you would otherwise be subject to (so long as you did not contribute to your IRA that year). This is known as a qualified charitable distribution (QCD) and you are allowed to transfer up to $100,000 each year.

In order to quickly and efficiently match your IRA distribution gift to your donor record (and promptly provide you the receipt you will need for your taxes), it is helpful if you proactively inform us a check is coming, the amount of the check, and the financial institution. We always want to promptly thank our donors for their generosity, however, sometimes these checks show up and may only say "Fidelity" or "Charles Schwab" with no donor information listed. Informing us of your gift in advance will ensure we can quickly provide your receipt.

Donors age 70½ and older who are still contributing funds to their IRA may not be able to donate their QCD free of taxes. Donors are encouraged to seek financial and tax advice from a qualified professional when making gifts.

For more information, contact West Honeycutt, Director of Planned Giving, at (202) 809-2787 or by email at

Make a QCD from my IRA.

Beneficiary Designations

In addition to making gifts directly from your IRA account, many national parks supporters choose to name NPCA as a charitable beneficiary of their IRA or other retirement account. Doing so costs you zero dollars today, but allows you to protect and secure the long-term future of the national parks system for future generations to enjoy.

Step 1:


Designate a percentage of your retirement account to NPCA. You can do this via your plan's website or by contacting your provider directly.

Step 2:

Tell Us About Your Gift

Informing us of your plans helps us ensure we can fulfill your wishes for your future gift. We will not pry into your personal details.

Step 3:

Support National Parks

NPCA receives your gift after your lifetime and uses it to protect and sustain America's national parks for generations to come.

Your gift is fully deductible for federal estate tax purposes, and there is no limit on the deduction your estate can claim. Many gifts are also exempt from state inheritance taxes.

How To Say It

I give and bequeath ___________ (dollar amount, percentage of residuary estate, specific asset, etc.) to National Parks Conservation Association (Federal Tax I.D. 53-0225165), 777 6th Street, N.W., Suite 700, Washington, D.C. 20001.

Legal Name
National Parks Conservation Association
777 6th Street NW, Suite 700
Washington, DC. 20001
Federal Tax I.D.

Tell Us About Your Gift

If you have created a legacy gift to support our work protecting and defending the long-term future of America's national parks, please fill out the short form below so we may thank you and recognize you for your support.

Many people like to leave a gift to charity in their will because they care about the causes that are important in their lives. Have you left or would you consider leaving a gift to NCPA?

Please enter your contact information:

Looks good!
Looks good!
Please enter a valid email.
Please provide a valid zip.
Please provide a valid city.
Please provide a valid state.
Please provide a valid zip.